Spring is upon us and soon the hot, sunny days of summer will be here. The warmth of summer sees many of us spending more time in our outdoor spaces with friends and family. Is your outdoor space ready for your enjoyment? Do you know how to prepare your landscaping for the heat of the summer? Some simple tips can help you get the most enjoyment and beautification out of your outdoor space this summer.
Everyone knows that plant life needs water to thrive. But do you know how much water and how often? Knowing how much to water and when can really help you cut down on your water bill and ensure that your plants have the moisture to survive even the hottest summer days.
The good news is that plants if planted in their proper regions, have mechanisms that help them deal with the heat of a summer day. So, knowing more about how and when to water will help support those mechanisms and ensure your landscaping thrives during the summer months.
Simple tips for summer watering include but are not limited to:
- Water your plants less often but more deeply. Grass and plants should receive about an inch of water a week.
- Water in the morning or later afternoon hours before sunset. Watering during the heat of the day allows the sun to steal the moisture away and may cause more delicate plants to burn, but watering after the sun has completely set may make landscaping more prone to disease.
- Utilize drip irrigation in place of sprinklers and hoses. Drip irrigation waters plants slowly so the water can be absorbed instead of running off or evaporating.
- Consider a drip irrigation system with a timer. If you are away from home a lot during the summer months, it is a good idea to invest in these systems that you can connect to a timer so even when you are away from home your landscaping can receive the moisture it needs to thrive. There are even systems that will attach to your hose bib, so professional installation and a huge investment is not necessary.
Consider the Health of Your Grass
Many people overlook the importance of their grass health when preparing their landscaping for the summer, spending more time on their flower beds, gardens, and
potted plants. Yet, if you have grass you can also help to ensure its health now instead of waiting until it doesn’t look healthy.
Some simple tips will help to ensure that your grass can make it through another summer in great condition:
- Aerate your lawn. This will improve oxygen flow. When you do this, it is also a great idea to have the soil pH balance checked.
- Fertilize your lawn. Fertilizer has all of the nutrients that your lawn needs to thrive during even the hottest of summers.
- Remove weeds from your lawn as they appear. Not only can weeds be unsightly, but they also steal the nutrients that your grass needs.
- Mow correctly. Mowing can be a big chore in the heat of the summer, so many homeowners want to cut their grass short to minimize the frequency of mowing. However, it is possible to mow your grass too short, causing negative impacts on the health of the grass.
Don’t Forget the Deck and Patio Landscaping
While some homeowners tend to forget about the grass when preparing landscaping for the summer heat, others forget about the deck and patio landscaping. Potted flowers, herbs, and plants can thrive outdoors during the summer months. For these plants to thrive be sure to:
- Water potted plants regularly.
- Add mulch to pots to help them retain their moisture.
- Place pots where plants will get some shade during the day, giving them a break from the intense sun.
Plan for Success
Have you started preparing your outdoor space for the summer and realize there are things that you would like to change for next summer? Now is the time to start planning, as fall is a great time to plant many different varieties of plant life. A great idea is to speak with a landscaping professional who can help guide you in choosing plants that will thrive in your climate. Choosing plant life with your climate in mind will help set you up for success and a beautiful outdoor space that you enjoy spending time in.
Archer Services Wants to Help You Create a Beautiful Outdoor Space
Need help beautifying your outdoor space for enjoyment this summer? Archer Services can help! As landscaping architects, we can help you design or continue to beautify an outdoor space that will not only look beautiful but will extend your living space and be a place that you and your family and friends enjoy spending time together. No outdoor space is too big or too small. Contact us today to schedule a consultation, and in the meantime, you can check out our gallery of work that showcases just a bit of what we have achieved in the past. We are familiar with landscaping for fun and beautification. As Texas natives, we can also help you choose plants that will thrive in their natural environment. We look forward to working with you soon!